'National Poetry Month, a celebration of poetry which takes place each April, was introduced in 1966 and it is organized by the Academy of American Poets... (It also) provides free educational resourcs to teachers for classroom celebrations and activities...' ~ WikipediaThe Lyric Writers' Workroom explains the difference between song lyrics and poetry, thus: '...there's only one difference between poetry and song lyrics: Lyrics are set to music.'
My colleague, Kathryn, and I write curriculum-aligned songs (and lesson materials) for schools. These songs started life as lyrics/poems before being transformed by Kathryn's musical genius (download a free sample, here).
As a teacher, it had been a long-held dream of mine to combine my passion for teaching, singing and writing, to provide time-poor teachers with resources that would support and integrate classroom learning across key subject areas ~ through the powerful and effective medium of song.
- Motivating and engaging students
- Introducing new units of work
- Kickstarting discussion
- Summarising, reinforcing and aiding recall of important curriculum content
- Integrating learning
- Reinforcing school and life themes & concepts
- Extending literacy
- Assembly & performance pieces
- Arts integration
- Building unity
- Distance learning...
One of my earlier blog posts, 'Lyrical Literacy' discusses the rhythmic nature of songs, highlighting the importance of the 3 Rs: rhyme, rhythm, and repetition, as a perfect platform for building phonemic awareness and a firm foundation for literacy.
The same 'Lyrical Literacy' post also gives simple, practical suggestions for achieving Literacy outcomes when using poetry with students, through integrating Grammar, Writing, Talking, Listening, and Reading Comprehension.
Below, is a list of downloadable, curriculum-aligned poems (lyric sheet PDFS) we currently have available (some of them FREE, for a limited time), and more are being added all the time:
- 'Our Solar System' (Grades 3-7)
- 'One World' (Grades K-7) *Multiculturalism
- 'People & Their Beliefs' (Grades 3-8)
- 'Busy Bodies' (Grades 3-7) *Human Body Systems
- 'Our Class Rules ~ OK!' (Grades K-3) *Rules & responsibilities
- 'Bully-Free Zone!' (Grades K-7)
- 'Living Values' (Grades K-12) Government's 9 Values for Australian Schooling
- 'ABC! Sing With Me!' (FREE, for a limited time)
- 'Wake Up!' (Grades 3-7) *Gratitude *choices *Empathy
- 'Gold Fever!' *Australian Gold Rush
- 'Eureka Stockade'
- 'Australian Democracy' (Grades 3-12)
- '4 Curriculum-Aligned, Australian Poems'
(Grades 3-7) *Bundle
- 'Swimming Carnival' (Grades K-6) *Participation *Courage
I will be adding more titles to this blog post throughout this National Poetry Month, so be sure to check back from time-to-time.
Until next time, stay safe & well!
FYI: Our ever-growing Curriculum Karaoke™ song video series is available to subscribing schools on ClickView, '... the world's leading producer of educational videos, providing curriculum-aligned content to schools.'
'In terms of application to the classroom, and usability by teachers they rate a tick in every box.' ~ Brendan Hitchens, Teacher, Music In Action: A Magazine for Educators
- The Wheel Store
- TPT (Teachers Pay Teachers) Store
A Lesson In Every Lyric'®