'Your students can learn the arts as well as learn through the arts.' ~ Andrew Miller, Educator
♫♫♫Kathryn and I are very excited to bring you our latest, innovative classroom teaching resource line ~ CURRICULUM KARAOKE™!
When I mentioned this concept to a few teacher friends a while back, their amused response was, 'Do you mean to tell us we're going to be singing the curriculum?!'.
Well, singing curriculum content, yes, that's exactly what I meant to tell them! That is to say, this highly motivational, interactive resource, with its illustrated, read, sing & learn along video format supports, enhances and integrates classroom learning across key subject areas ~ through song.
Our downloadable curriculum-aligned songs extend literacy and add another dimension to the way our students learn curriculum content, themes and concepts ~ all at the touch of a button!
Not musical ~ NO worries!
- Just download the MP4 file and play on your classroom whiteboard or computer!
- Students read/sing & learn along as the song plays and the lyrics display on the screen.
- No need to print out lyrics or create a power point - the Mp4 does it all for you, making it easy for the whole class or school to follow the lyrics on any screen and read/sing along together.
‘Because when kids are learning through the arts, they end up getting a deeper understanding and the concepts end up sticking much better…’ ~ Elizabeth PetersonMusic is a very powerful and effective medium for helping young people to connect with learning content ~ it's a language they understand. It makes perfect sense to utilise song as a learning tool in our classrooms.
Singer-songwriter, Bruce Springsteen illustrates perfectly the powerful effect of music on memory, in a line from one of his songs, 'Surrender':
- Comprises curriculum-aligned songs that target outcomes & learning sequences of curriculum documents. There's 'A Lesson in Every Lyric'®
- Supports, enhances and integrates classroom learning across key subject areas
- Plays on your classroom whiteboard and other devices to help students learn curriculum-aligned content, themes and concepts
- Extends literacy ~ reading(students read / sing along with the lyrics, as if they are reading a book), comprehension, grammar, punctuation, poetry text type study...
- Energizes classroom discussions
- Enables students to take a more active role in their learning and have a better understanding and memory of content
- Aids recall
- Reinforces learning content
- Hones listening skills
- Contributes to a positive learning environment
- Creates and promotes unity
- Makes learning fun...
Here's a preview sample of 'Four Seasons' (Grades Pre K-3):
Here's a preview sample of 'Busy Bodies' (Grades 3-7)
TIPS & SUGGESTIONS FOR USE:
- Students take turns reading the text, while the rest of the class follows the rhythm ~ brains and bodies work together to garner meaning.
- Pause the power point at any time to choose new readers, clarify meaning, make a point, question the class on a line of text for comprehension, define key words, etc.
- Students sing along with the vocal track (this aids accurate singing of melody and lyrics)
- Divide the class into groups for chorus, verses, etc.
- Create a cloze passage to assess comprehension of content
- Perform as a class item for school assemblies
- Project lyrics onto screen for whole school participation!
CURRICULUM KARAOKE™ is a growing line of MP4 song & lyrics videos, including:
'Workers In Our Community' (Illustrated)
FYI: More CURRICULUM KARAOKE™ song videos have been added since this blog post was written!
Until next time!
Yours in Singing to Learn,
Teacher; Lyricist; Director,
'A Lesson in Every Lyric'®
A Review: ‘In terms of application to the classroom, and usability by teachers they rate a tick in every box.’ ~ Brendan Hitchens, teacher: Music In Action, A Magazine for Educators
**FYI: Our curriculum-aligned teaching resources are available as:
'A Lesson in Every Lyric'®